12.03.2005

This, as Opposed to That

So the other night a girl who got it in her head once that I was her boyfriend (I will say no further to that matter save to say that I did nothing personally to foster that belief) showed up at my store. She didn't recognize me, which was good because I didn't remember her name until after she left. She's a goth now.

Wasn't me. I swear.

I had a post on a serious topic planned, but I realized two things. One, it would make my fourth in a row, and two, this is the gorram weekend. Also, the reason I had for addressing it now is really an artificial one; a construct of a base 10 numerical system. So yeah. Maybe later.

What's the matter with me,
I don't have much to say,
Daylight sneakin' through the window
And I'm still in this all-night cafe.
Walkin' to and fro beneath the moon
Out to where the trucks are rollin' slow,
To sit down on this bank of sand
And watch the river flow.


I've been listening to a lot of blues lately. Eric Clapton, some early Hendrix (In his early years the dude was way blues. He was actually a protege of Buddy Guy), some of Dylan's blues songs (like the one whose lyrics are infixed much after a certain someone's style) , B.B. King before he turned 70, etc. I was thinking that if the blues made a comeback, maybe it would put a stake in the heart of emo. Of course, it would have to be properly injected into the culture. My plan is to start a group of militant musicians acting in pairs in coffee shops. One with an aucoustic guitar, another with an electric, play some of the more accessible blues songs out there while shying away from the ones that make people say "blues is all the same." College kids start buying blues albums; record companies take notice.

Wish I was back in the city
Instead of this old bank of sand,
With the sun beating down over the chimney tops
And the one I love so close at hand.
If I had wings and I could fly,
I know where I would go.
But right now I'll just sit here so contentedly
And watch the river flow


Right now I am envisioning myself playing that song at Gourmand.

People disagreeing on all just about everything, yeah,
Makes you stop and all wonder why.
Why only yesterday I saw somebody on the street
Who just couldn't help but cry.
Oh, this ol' river keeps on rollin', though,
No matter what gets in the way and which way the wind does blow,
And as long as it does I'll just sit here
And watch the river flow.


Oh right. In the next few days I should be getting a guitar. An ebony Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 if anyone reading knows guitars. I think of the sort of stuff I'd be able to play now if I'd done this five years ago as I'd originally intended and I kick myself. But this time, I'm doing this.

*wicked guitar solo*

People disagreeing everywhere you look,
Makes you wanna stop and read a book.
Why only yesterday I saw somebody on the street
That was really shook.
But this ol' river keeps on rollin', though,
No matter what gets in the way and which way the wind does blow,
And as long as it does I'll just sit here
And watch the river flow.


I'll catch you all later. And sorry I co-opted your style, Alice.

3 comments:

  1. It is always good to expand your musical taste.

    That alright I actually stole it partly from MoJo as he uses song titles to title his posts; although, he writes top down. I use song titles sometimes but write top up using ithem for titles if it is feasible. Music, it seems fits into everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not expand so much as reinforce. I've always been into the blues. I'm not sure what you mean by "from the top down," though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These comments rather than the post finally gave me some insite into why I get so damn confused on Alice's site with the parts in Italics. I wondered if she was just a brialliant poet or something. Well, now I know, but Alice, you use the lyrics very well each and every time. I have been very impressed.

    ReplyDelete